Title: Capacity building for export competitiveness of women-led SMEs and standards promotion in cosmetology sector in Africa
Project Location: Accra, Ghana and Nairobi, Kenya
The overall objective of the project was to promote shea exports for cosmetics in regional and international markets, and the uptake of standards for cosmetology, thereby contributing to sustainable economic development, job creation and poverty reduction in Africa.
The purpose of this technical assistance project was to:
- Provide support for trade enhancement and export-readiness for women-led small cosmetics producers and exporters in West Africa;
- Support regional integration through the application of harmonised standards and conformity assessment procedures in cosmetology in Africa.
Enabling Environments implemented this project with a team of two key experts and two non-key experts, providing technical assistance to the Global Shea Alliance (GSA) based in Accra, Ghana, and the African Organisation for Standardisation (ARSO) based in Nairobi, Kenya, as well as other stakeholders from Member states on the African continent:
- Consultations with targeted groups and representatives from key private and public stakeholders;
- Studies on targeted topics;
- Development of 2 manuals, one on export, and the other focusing on quality, to assist cosmetic companies to export within West Africa, to Europe, and the U.S. The export manual presented the guidelines and documentation requirements for shea-based cosmetics for Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Togo, EU, and US, and specific import-export processes including registration, regulation conformity;
- Review of existing standards and regulations;
- Development of publicity materials, namely on
- Information on General Requirements for Herbal Products based on the Rwanda standard RS 333: 2018, Herbal Cosmetic Products – General Requirement for Herbal Products;
- Information on Thalassotherapy- Service Requirements based on ISO 17680, Tourism and related services — Thalassotherapy — Service requirements;
- Information on Wellness Spa – Service Requirements based on ISO 17679 Tourism and related services – Wellness spa – Service requirements;
- 2 videos on Good Manufacturing Practices in the cosmetology sector; and
- Organisation and participation in 2 training workshops and seminars (Ghana and Kenya).