Title: Comprehensive study on the Common External Tariff rates on sensitive items
Project Location: East Africa Region (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda)
The study on the Common External Tariff (CET) Rates on sensitive items sought to:
- Critically analyse the products in the sensitive list;
- Map out the integration and mainstreaming of sensitive rates into a three band structure and;
- Provide a roadmap.
Additional tasks included:
- Analyzing data therein on imports and local production;
- Determining the impact of sensitive rates on the importation of the products under the sensitive list;
- Reviewing the Council criteria for sensitive list items and its applicability to the list and assessing the impact of sensitive rates to the respective sectors;
- Analyzing through international best practices benchmarks other measures for protecting sensitive items;
- Developing a mechanism for the integration of the sensitive products under the three band structure;
- Developing a road map for mainstreaming the sensitive products into the three band structure;
- Recommending measures for sensitive products that may require protection from time to time.